Saturday, July 31, 2010

being read to

"knowing you, knowing me: new artists show 2010"

trenton garratt's performance at artspace,

10 July - 21 August


I was feeling a bit woozy from too much cream and jam

Upon entering the gallery we were invited to perch on

small wooden seats

I felt almost uncomfortable with the intimacy of being read to

The artists reading was accompanied by the noise of airport

arrivals

As the story unfolded I passed a piece of paper through my

hands in a circular motion I thought about the silver wine cask

and the urine puddle outside and the sticky crimson wine

spillage inside

The story slowly unwound punctuated by a mimetic/fatal drowning,

followed by an amiable exchange between my friend and the artist

I followed the thread of their conversation silently

I was drawn to his comments about lying to some gallery visitors,

I thought about the weaving between story telling and retelling,

fakery, non truths and those reoccurring conversations

after that we left


No comments:

Post a Comment